The tug-o-war between warm sunshine and cold wintry days has left us feeling like Spring will never be here. But it’s here, along with some of the seasonal unpleasantries it brings. In Chinese Medicine, each season has a different organ, taste, color, and so on, associated with it. The Spring is the Wood Element, with the Liver/Gallbladder organs taking the spotlight. The Liver is the detox maestro of the body, which is why many suggest doing a cleanse during the spring. Because the Liver is the organ of the Spring, it’s more susceptible to become out of balance, causing symptoms like seasonal allergies, headaches, acne, stress, irritability, PMS (yes…you read that right! PMS shouldn’t occur if the Liver is happy), dry skin, dry eyes, and muscle aches. If doing a full-on fledge seems like the end of the world, here are some easy and simple tips to gentle detox the Liver and cleanse the body, all while maintaining your sanity.
- Green is the color associated with the Liver. Eat more green foods like spinach, arugula, celery, algae (chlorella and spirulina are great options), green apples, micro-greens, watercress, basil…the list goes on!
- Bitter foods help gently detox the liver. Try adding dandelion greens to a salad or drinking chamomile tea sweetened with a touch of Raw Honey in the evening.
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (it must be raw) is known to be a miracle worker in detoxing the Liver. Try taking at least three tablespoons a day. This is a fantastic tip to heal seasonal allergies, as well as acne and breakouts.
- Exercise is especially important during the Spring to help eliminate toxins from the body, assisting the Liver in doing it’s work.
- Give your body a rest, even if it’s just for a day. Try replacing coffee with Green Tea, which is loaded with antioxidants, or try a Green Juice in the morning instead of your usual breakfast.
Receive all things Romy & The Bunnies direct to your inbox. Don't worry – you information is secret safe with us!